Food is one necessity of life, but for most of us, it is a way to cheer ourselves, to celebrate, and to enjoy ourselves with all family or friends together. Every place has its specialty of cuisines, while the Maldives is also one of them whose food is something you can enjoy the most. Although Maldivian foods initially were all about rice, fish, seafood, lime, and coconut, which has gradually changed to a mixture of taste from its neighbors like Sri Lanka and India.
The Maldives is one of the major tourist destinations, having a large number of resorts located on different islands. Hence you will get to enjoy a variety of cuisines, even a vegetarian one. Taj Exotica, Maldives is one luxurious resort that spreads across the Emboodhu Finolhu island, located in the mid of the largest lagoons in the Maldives. It is a branch of Zeldiva Luxury resorts, which provides personalized hospitality to each of its clients. You can join them for your memorable and lavish holiday which can never be forgotten in your entire life.
It is said that coconut is one of the major parts of Maldivian food, which is used in the form of oil, milk, or grated over the dishes. The food here is made with the traditions carried on for a long time, with an added flavor of spices (in a mild way) and also with some delicate sweetness. Vegetables are very rare in dishes, but you will find onions in most of their dishes. Mostly these onions are fried and added to different dishes.
Rice is very commonly used as a side dish just like tapioca, sweet potato, and taro root. Also, like bread, you will find roshi-small cakes which are the same as Indian bread and chapatis.
Some of the most common dishes include:
- Garudhiya: It is a simple traditional dish cooked with fish, water, and salt. It is added with lime, chili, rice, and onions.
- Fihuna Mas: It is a small tuna, which is grilled or roasted and added with grated spices
- Kulhi Boakibaa: It is a pie which is stuffed with coconut and fish.
- Theluli faa Banbukeyo: It is a snack which is made from breadfruit, which is fried in coconut oil.
- Dhonkeyo Kajuru: It is a banana pie, made of banana, flour, coconut, and sugar. Though it tastes sweet the taste is very unusual.
- Handulu Bondibai: It is a rice pudding made with cream of coconut milk.
- Mashuni: It is a dish for breakfast, which is made of smoked tuna, with spicy onion mashed, and the addition of pepper, salt, lemon, and coconut pulp. It is well served with Roshi bread.
- Theluli Mas: It is a spicy dish with fish which is marinated with a special blend of spices. It is then served with rice, bread, and vegetables.
Soft drinks here are available in the form of juices, coconut water, palm juice, and the most popular “suji”. This is a sweet tea which is served with milk. After reading these yummy cuisines I am sure you would want to try each one of them.
What are you food lovers waiting for? Just try each one of them and tell us your reviews.